Menu Close

Planning Permission For Garden Buildings & House Extensions?

Planning Permission For Garden Buildings & Extensions

In most cases, garden buildings do not require planning permission as they are classified as outbuildings. However, there are certain planning rules that you must comply with, such as the size of the room, where you plan to put it, what you plan to use it for, and where you live.

If you live in a listed building or a designated area such as a National Park, area of outstanding natural beauty, conservation area, or World Heritage Site, you may not have permitted development rights. It’s always best to check with your local planning office if you’re unsure.

If you have any questions about planning applications for insulated garden offices or house extensions please don’t hesitate to call us on 01743 461471 or 07813 333374.

Garden Buildings For Commercial Or Business Use

Garden offices are generally considered to be garden rooms and are subject to the same rules. However, if you plan to use your garden office for business purposes, you may need to apply for planning permission. This is because the use of the building may change from being incidental to the main use of the house to being a separate commercial entity.

Insulated garden office rooms are designed to be used all year round and are therefore subject to more stringent building regulations. However, they are still classified as outbuildings and do not usually require planning permission. If you are unsure whether you need planning permission for your insulated garden office room, it’s always best to check with your local planning office.

Shropshire Planning Permission Applications

Planning permission is a legal requirement that you must obtain from your local council before starting any building work. It is designed to ensure that the construction of new buildings or the modification of existing ones is carried out in a way that is safe, sustainable, and in keeping with the surrounding environment.

Planning Applications For Garden Extensions?

Whether you need planning permission for garden building, summerhouse, or house extension depends on where you want to place the building in your garden and if you live in a national park or similar designated area. If certain criteria are met and the building is considered permitted development, you can proceed without needing permission.

Q: What is the maximum height for a garden building without planning permission?

A: Garden Buildings are considered Permitted Development and do not require planning permission if:

The building is placed less than 2.0m from the property boundary, with a maximum overall height of 2.5m from ground level.

The building is placed more than 2.0m from the property boundary,

A single-story garden building has a maximum eave height of 2.5m for a dual-pitched roof or 3.0m for a pent roof.

Q: Are there other criteria to consider for planning permission?

A: Yes, some additional criteria include:

The building should not be used as self-contained living accommodation or have an antenna.

No more than 50% of the land around the original house should be taken up by garden buildings.

Outbuildings should not be closer to a road or public highway than the original house.

Q: What if my garden building doesn’t meet the criteria?

A: If your garden building does not meet the criteria, such as being taller than 2.5m and within 2.0m of a boundary, you would need to apply for planning permission.

Q: Can I have a garden building larger than 30m² without planning permission?

A: No, if your garden building meets the criteria, you won’t need planning permission for sizes up to 30m² (internal size). Anything larger than 30m² will require building regulations approval.

Q: Are there special considerations for listed buildings?

A: Yes, garden buildings placed within the curtilage of a listed property require planning permission. If attaching a structure to a listed property, both listed building consent and planning permission are needed.

Q: Are there limitations for designated land areas?

A: Yes, if your property is on designated land, such as national parks or conservation areas, there may be limitations on the size and placement of garden buildings. Additional planning permission may be required.

Q: Is obtaining planning permission difficult?

A: Obtaining planning permission for a garden office, summer house, garden room or shed is not as difficult as it may seem. Our dedicated team is available to advise and assist you throughout the process.

Q: How long does the planning application process usually take?

The planning process typically takes 8-12 weeks. Our designers and architects will work with you to design your bespoke building and draw up plans. We will handle the submission of these drawings for the planning application on your behalf, making the process smooth and efficient. Any requests for minor adjustments from local authorities will be communicated to you promptly, and we will act swiftly on any necessary resubmissions.

Planning Application Costs & Expenses

Call us on 01743 461471 or 07813 333374 to discuss planning applications or refusals for garden buildings or garden room extensions in Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Cheshire, Mid Wales and West Midlands

Contact Us
How did you find us?

Best Pub Shed In UK

Myndstone Garden Buildings, Unit 15D Vanguard Way, Battlefield Enterprise Park, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1 3TG

Commercial Property Testing
Modular Building Electrical
Commercial Electrician Services